Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jameson12_gw

Lamium as ground cover?

jameson12
13 years ago

We have pink lamium and it works great as a ground cover. Has anyone else tried this? How about the white variety? It also works well near our mailbox garden. Is there a special place on this forum for mailbox gardens? I would love to know where to find that section of the forum. Maybe small space gardening

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Lamium is an excellent groundcover under proper conditions and it doesn't make any difference which type you select :-) Prefers some shade, at least from hot afternoon sun. In fact, it is a recommended groundcover for dry shade situations, like under the canopy of large trees.

No specific section or forum for mailbox gardens -- depending on the plants in question, it is addressed on any of the appropriate plant forums - groundcovers, perennials, shrubs, etc. Subject often comes up in the Cottage Gardening forum as well.

• clinchvalley
    13 years ago

Lamium is my favorite ground cover. The flowers (I have pink, purple and white ones) last a long time and after they are done, the silver leave foliage is great. I posted a few pictures of some of mine in the Made for Shade photo album. All you see came from 2 little six packs, it really spreads and is easily divided and transplanted.

• joannemb
    13 years ago

I planted white nancy in 2 places facing east getting morning sun from 8-1. The one in the more shaded area (under a tree and shaded by boxwoods) is doing wonderfully. Really filling out and the leaves are just beautiful. Very vigorous grower, so pretty, and easy to maintain thus far. The one that gets the morning sun unshaded... not so much. It's too much sun for them and they require a lot more water as a result. The leaves are not as pretty (much lighter in color and a bit droopy) and it takes so much water to keep the leaves from turning yellow/brown. I've given them a month, and have almost resolved myself to pull them out and try something else there.

So in my experience, some sun is best---but in a shady spot (not open.)

• juliebw
    13 years ago

I like the lamium I have at the base of two trees in my back yard. One is more of a vining type, the other has more upright growth and grows more slowly. I find it to be an excellent groundcover for this purpose, more attractive than just mulching around the trees.

• honey_mi
    13 years ago

Hi. I have Lamium 'Pink Pewter' and 'Orchid Frost'. I really like it. It gets a little leggy by the end of the season and there's some dieback over winter, although I've had it bloom thru the snow in early winter. I trim it back in the Spring and surround it with with compost. It then comes back lush and beautiful.

I'm trying 'White Nancy' again in another area. It hasn't performed as well in the past but then again, I moved it quadrillion times. Further, I've read that the newest purple variety (don't remember the name, sorry) is the strongest and best performer. Hope this helps.

• karen1earthangel
    13 years ago

i have purple dragaon and yellow nancy
    I planted one small pot of yellow nancy about 5 years ago and it covered a HUGEW area now..like quarter of my back yard it spreads like crazy..think yellow nancy may drown out other plants as some of my hostas have disapeared in the area now:(

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

karen1earthangel- I'm wondering if what you call yellow Nancy is archangel- Lamiastrum galeobdolon. If so that would explain why it is so invasive, I'm having a lot of trouble getting rid of it too.

Here is a link that might be useful: archangel