Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any NOT completely invasive?????

Posted by buddyrose CT 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 28, 09 at 20:05

Is there such a thing as a ground cover that doesn't want to take over the world?

I have every ground cover known to man and then some: English Ivy, Ajuga, Variegated Goutweed, Creeping Phlox, Creeping Jenny, Wild Ginger, Dwarf Plumbago, Sweet Woodruff, Blue Geranium, Heuchera, Daylillies, Golden Creeping Charlie, Pachysandra, Vinca, Hostas, Ferns. ARRRRGHHHH. I'm suffocating in ground covers!!!!

I mostly hate the ivy which is so thick the roots are like steel to rip out. And the Varigated Goutweed that grows under and around my perenial shrubs right up against their trunks. Boy do I hate the look of this. And it's too tall for a ground cover even before those ugly flowers shoot up. UGH.

I love my Creeping jenny, so far, is sweet and lovely around my water garden. The Vinca hasn't gone crazy yet either. And the creeping phlox is gorgeous lavender in Spring and then the Heuchera and Daylillies are pretty.

What's a girl to do short of ripping out my own hair WHICH IS EASIER THAN RIPPING OUT SOME OF THESE GROUND COVERS!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any NOT completely invasive?????

Depending on the space, I'd use hostas! some of the small ones, like Allen P. McConnell, Twist of Lime and Lemon Lime, fill in very quickly where you put them (I plant them about 6" apart in areas that I want to fill in), but they don't crawl away from the area. Lancifolia is the old standard groundcover hosta, but it gets a little larger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here