Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelydra

How to tell when white clover has dropped seed?

chelydra
16 years ago

Already posted this on an older thread on Organic Lawn Care as "RE: Anyone Overlooked the Benefits of Clover?" - no answer, so I hope it's OK to try again here.

I like a semi-natural lawn: turf grass, but with some wildflowers encouraged.

After a few years of seeding, I finally have large patches of white clover established in my lawn, in thin topsoil over glacial sand - very dry! It's slowly spreading in some areas, and I'm hoping will fill in the barest places where grass just won't grow. (I mulch-mow, but don't water as a rule.)

I've been mowing a couple of times in the spring, then waiting to cut again until about July. This lets my favorite wildflowers go to seed; then I have a mostly-grass lawn again through autumn.

Clover seed is expensive. It also seems that letting it naturalize should encourage the hardiest strains for this plot. So here's the question: how long after flowers go brown does it take for seeds to ripen? I've never actually seen seed on the plants; I guess it falls/blows out as soon as it's ripe.

I've read that the flowers wilt as soon as they've been fertilized. Is there some fixed number of days after that until I can mow without losing all the seed?

Thanks-

Chelydra

Comment (1)