Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell when white clover has dropped seed?

Posted by chelydra z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 20:38

Already posted this on an older thread on Organic Lawn Care as "RE: Anyone Overlooked the Benefits of Clover?" - no answer, so I hope it's OK to try again here.

I like a semi-natural lawn: turf grass, but with some wildflowers encouraged.

After a few years of seeding, I finally have large patches of white clover established in my lawn, in thin topsoil over glacial sand - very dry! It's slowly spreading in some areas, and I'm hoping will fill in the barest places where grass just won't grow. (I mulch-mow, but don't water as a rule.)

I've been mowing a couple of times in the spring, then waiting to cut again until about July. This lets my favorite wildflowers go to seed; then I have a mostly-grass lawn again through autumn.

Clover seed is expensive. It also seems that letting it naturalize should encourage the hardiest strains for this plot. So here's the question: how long after flowers go brown does it take for seeds to ripen? I've never actually seen seed on the plants; I guess it falls/blows out as soon as it's ripe.

I've read that the flowers wilt as soon as they've been fertilized. Is there some fixed number of days after that until I can mow without losing all the seed?

Thanks-

Chelydra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell when white clover has dropped seed?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 10:55

When the flowers brown, go ahead and mow....you will be leaving the seeds in the lawn....and after the flower is brown, I would assume they have ripened enough to be viable.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here