Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clean up

Posted by PJalst Z5 Albany NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 05 at 21:01

I have a clover type ground cover along the fence line on the side of my house. The ground cover comes out about 5 feet from the fence then grass runs from the cover to the house. This makes a nice natural path. My problem is I have a perennial growing out of the GC that makes this GC bed look unkept. I don't know what type of plant it is ,but it doesn't flower. It just sprouts up a plant every 2-3 feet or so. My question, what's the easiest way to get rid of the perennial plants. I know everyone will say, get in there and dig them up, but that will be a lot of work. I pulled some up last year and they just grew back before the summer ended.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clean up

pulling them is one thing- digging them up is another thing entirely. the thing that makes perennials special is just that ability to grow from its rootball and crown every year.

it's entirely possible that it's a perennial weed (there are plenty of them) and getting rid of it won't upset anyone...but you'll need a spade or a garden fork to get below the root mass, so you can lift it.

round up is your only other option- best to use cardboard to protect the surrounding clover from the spray (use it set on 'foam' and it won't get everywhere)

o

• Posted by PJalst Z5 Albany NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 10:15

I'll try the Round up approach first, if that doesn't work I guess I'll have no choice but to get on my knees and dig.

o

I wish you weren't a 4 hour drive away-I'd come take it all :)

actually, you might want to post on craigslist or freecycle.com offering 'u dig it' special on the rock cress- with the picture, I'm sure there are local people who would not only come dig it for you... they might even trade you for something YOU would like!

I traded 40 spiderworts (which approach weed-ish-ness in my garden) for 40 purple irises about a month ago...now THAT was a swap we both walked away from feeling like we'd both cheated the other person- though we could see they were thrilled with their new plants :)

o

• Posted by PJalst Z5 Albany NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 11:53

I'll try and post a pic here if I can figure out how.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here