Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
School could use some ground cover advice

Posted by rutgers1 6NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 21:32

I set out with my elementary school students to solve an erosion and eyesore problem at our school in the fall. There is an area of the property under trees that won't grow grass, and it really looks dull/boring/tired. Unfortunately, the winter came and we put it on the back burner. I would like to start thinking ahead to this fall and even start preparing the ground over the summer. Here are the photos:

http://flickr.com/photos/9002158@N08/sets/72157602419773741/

I was wondering you you all thought that filling this area with pachysandra would look good AND be successful in stopping some of this somewhat sandy soil from running down the slight incline. I also was wondering if you thought that I might be able to plant some bulbs in this groundcover on the periphery where it gets sunlight. I thought it would be neat if we had bulbs growing through it every spring. If anyone has pictures of a garden with bulbs growing through a similar groundcover, that would be great!

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: School could use some ground cover advice

I see a problem with pachy because of foot traffic, stems are brittle, because kids as well as adults like taking shortcuts and I beleive vinca would hold up a bit better although invasive if not controlled. You might want to look into woody plants like euonynous fortunei varieties, more expensive but I doubt would be trampled like groundcover.

o
RE: School could use some ground cover advice

If you plan to plant groundcover around a narrower footpath, vinca would do quite well. You can't kill the stuff. With a few taller shade plants here and there you could have quite a pretty little path. Sometimes tree surgeons give away wood chips, which you could use for the foot path (but be careful - some chips are so large and coarse as to be unusable - check first!) And you shouldn't need to buy pachysandra or vinca - it's easy to find for free. When you're ready for it, post a request with your location in NJ. Good luck with your project. MsB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here