Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover in shrub bed...suggestions please!

Posted by Rhaine86 z5 N.ID (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 23:11

Hi all- I have a mixed shrub border on all sides of my house. It comes out about 3 feet from the house. Planted there are mostly red barberry, magic carpet spirea, and blue star juniper. Several hostas were also planted but one particular side gets almost full sun and the hostas were getting scorched so they were moved. I now have several bare spots I need to fill! The area was a bit cramped before so I am wanting a ground cover to go under and around the bushes rather than trying to replace the hostas with something of equal size.

I am looking for something low to the ground, slow growing is great, flowering optional but I would prefer something other than red. Am I being too picky here?? Or is there something that may work for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover in shrub bed...suggestions please!

Silver Edge Pachysandra is a beautiful ground cover. It is slow to establish, though. It took three years for mine to fill in.

o

maybe some decorative strawberries..they won't climb up the schrubs like some ground covers. pretty pink flowers in spring

o

Hi Rhaine,

For a light, airy, flowery look, how about creeping baby's breath, Gypsophila repens in either pink or white. It'll be a mat of tiny flowers when it's blooming in early to mid summer, about 4" high when blooming, and xeric when established, so it won't need much water by next year.

Or for something that's incredibly easy to take care of, how about a collection of all different sizes and colors of Hen & Chicks, Sempervivum. They come in everything from tiny to large ones, and all shades of green and green/red/pink combinations. I like the "cobweb" kind (arachnoideum) that look like they're covered with webs, and another favorite is the one called 'Icicle', which has a totally frosty look. Few flowers, but they, too, are xeric and will virtually never need to be watered--even right after you put them in. Here's a picture showing 3 varieties side by side.

Have fun deciding what to use,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Hen & Chicks

o

Thank you for the variety of suggestions, it gives me so much to work with! I will look into them further.

Also- I didn't know there were so many varieties of hen & chicks!!! I don't normally like them, but I hadn't seen the purplish ones that have that frosty look-- they look really different.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here