Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abazaba_99

Positives and Negatives to Purple Wintercreeper?

abazaba_99
18 years ago

I have a 5000sq feet very rocky, Full sun hill that I am looking to plant with a fast growing, drought tolerant, hopefully nice looking groundcover. I have been researching for weeks with no great answer. I found Purple Wintercreeper recently (aka colorata) and I am wondering about any +'s or -'s people have had with this ground cover.

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

It is a perfectly acceptable if not overly inspiring plant. Not a lot to say for itself other than its durability and ability to accept a wide range of growing conditions, including some rather adverse ones.

For the rocky slope you describe (I also posted on the Landscape Design forum), I doubt you will be happy with ANY monoculture, including this. Too large a space and a single plant or groundcover just does not have enough presence or impact.

But if this is what you select, it will certainly work and probably quite well.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

bland, but sturdy. and GardenGal's right- that's an AWFUL lot of ground to be covering with just one kind of plant- plenty big enough to show up on a a satelite photo of your county, actually.

you might be happier going with native (or at least compatible) plants- there's a whole selection of plants that team up to stabilize hills up and down the left coast, and while I think the wintercreeper is a good 'anchor' plant, it wouldn't be all I'd want there.

prostrate rosemary, daylilies, lavender, and standing sedums would all adapt to the landscape, take droughts without a blink, and give you something back, while varying the landscape a bit.

• abazaba_99
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Follow-up question. If I was to say plant a good portion of the hill the end of september with purple wintercreeper and then in spring plant some of the other suggested plants do you think they would all still grow in nicely?

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

in your region? sure. see no reason why it wouldn't grow through the rainy season, though in a lazy sort of way.

it's a good candidate for 'layering - cover long stretches of stem with a handful of dirt, then a double handful of mulch, step on it to firm, come back in six weeks, and you'll be likely to find tiny little roots spreading out into the dirt. by spring, those places can be cut free of the 'mother' plant, and moved to a bare spot.

you might want to put a test batch of sedums in, just to see how they deal with the rainy season. 'round about the end of the season, you can usually find lanky, overgrown pots of dragon's blood, stonecrop, and other succulents on major markdown. trim off the lanky bits, and you can plant them by poking a stick in the ground, dropping the stem in the hole, and scraping a bit of dirt into the hole afterwards. they might surprise you :)

• roegaines_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

It's excellent for people who happen to be bald or balding. It's easy to care for, clings to a dirty scalp quite well and adds a bit of interest around otherwise unremarkable faces. The only downside is that it cannot be properly styled at a conventional salon or barber shop.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

What about using bigroot hardy geranium? I'll include the link for some other suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: various groundcovers

• knack
    12 years ago

They are very easy to propagate via 6" long stem cuttings inserted into moist potting mix. Wait about a week after you you see new growth (about 4 weeks total) before planting the clones into the landscape.

Purple wintercreeper's winter color depends upon how much winter sun it receives. During winter full sun (my backyard) it becomes bright red. However during winter full shade (my frontyard; the north side of my 2-story house) it turns a dull, uninteresting gradation of maroon.

I had misbelieved various publications on the web claiming that when planted en masse it creeps to a neat dense height of 6" to 9". However, when spaced every 8" among my Nandina domestica 'Jaytee' in a well ammended bed, its mass includes a countless number of separate curving stalks, which have now risen 36" into the air (and still growing) two years since I planted it all. Although that area now has a desirable blanket of horizontal stems covering the ground, the too numerous verticle stems result in an overall appearance that is extremely leggy and unkempt. This part of my yard has been long overdue for a trimming. Before I planted them I thought I'd only have to someday trim the boundary of their area. Wow, was I wrong! They are growing rapidly in this bed of richly improved soil, and their TOPS must now be trimmed wayyy back with hedge shears. I wanted a low growing, low maintenance groundcover to squeeze out weeds, but there I've got a tall growing, frequent to control headache plant.

Perhaps then purple wintercreeper should best be planted in un-ammended topsoil; possibly that which had been growing turfgrass. And it wouldn't surprise me if garden fertilizer promotes undesirable verticle growth of this plant.

• spitfire60
    7 years ago

Why don't you get some wildflower seeds, from a seed store for your area a packet covers about 1000 sq ft.. you can get drought tolerant, spread after a couple of frosts and you won't have to water.. they will come up in the spring

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH