Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie8961

Ground cover similar to Chia Pet (Salva hispanica)

newbie8961
10 years ago

Hi, I am new to botany and gardening and IâÂÂm looking for a species or speciesâ of plants that have similar features of the popular Chia Pet (Salvia hispanica):

1. A relatively short germination time.
  2. Short plant height, about 2-3inches(not strictly speaking). Although I realized that Salvia hispanica grows much larger if planted.
  3. A thick ground cover like appearance.
    4.Grows indoors.
    However, unlike a Chia Pet I would like more longevity from the species compared to the 3-4 week life of a Chia Pet, ideally something that would stay small for a couple months. Would I be correct in assuming that, the smaller the species of plant, the longer the germination and slower growing?
    I am in the process of planting Dichondra repens and Irish Moss (Sagina Subulata) as an experiment as they fit the type of look I would like to achieve.

As mentioned, IâÂÂm new to this field and trying to narrow down possible choices from thousands of plant species globally which I have little knowledge of. I figured this would be a good place to start.

Any suggestions would be welcome; it could be any available plant species that fit characteristicâÂÂs similar to a Chia Pet.

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts