Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover with Bleeding Hearts

Posted by totallyconfused (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 8:44

Hi Everyone

This is my first time posting on the garden forum. I was hoping someone could offer a suggestion for a problem I've trying unsuccessfully to solve for a number of years.

On the side of my house I have two bleeding hearts planted with a hydrangea in between. The bleeding hearts get to be about 4ft across, which is fine until they die back around the middle of July. Then I am left with two 4ft wide bare patches. Some years I have just left them. Other years I have tried to fill in with whatever leftover annuals I've been able to find. I would really like to plant some sort of groundcover that would fill the bare space, but have no idea what, if anything, would be able to grow under the bleeding hearts. Any suggestions for a groundcover, or any other solutions, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Totally Confused

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover with Bleeding Hearts

Hello and welcome to GardenWeb!

The Bleeding Heart die back problem is a fairly common one. I'm assuming that you have the pink kind of Bleeding Heart, which is called Dicentra spectabilis.

I have the same kind of Bleeding Heart planted in our garden in full sun for some strange reason. It was planted by the previous owner of our house, and I've been meaning to transplant it to a more shady area. Our Bleeding Heart dies back around July. We have a groundcover called Barren Strawberry (Waldsteinia fragarioides) planted in the same bed which covers over the Bleeding Heart nicely once it dies back.

Our garden has a very informal, "country" type of look, so the strawberry ground cover looks appropriate. But I know a lot of people interplant their Bleeding Hearts with ferns, hostas, and astilbes if their garden has a more formal look.
These aren't necessarily ground covers of course, but they get larger later in the spring and cover the Bleeding Heart dieback very well.

Also, we cut back the foliage of the Bleeding Heart once it turns yellow.

Hope this helps...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here