Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
resonanteye

low, soft, fast-filling groundcover for full sun area?

resonanteye
15 years ago

I have a patch of ground next to my porch that is in full sun from late morning until night. lots of sun. I want to plant a groundcover that I can walk on barefoot; I was thinking something like irish moss? Something that isn't woody, thorny, spiky, or pokey. No hens and chicks in other words.

My question is how to get the irish moss to grow and actually cover the ground? I bought a few of the "stepable" pots last year but they dried and died- they never filled in any of the space between the plants, it was just a big empty area with a couple plants stranded in it. I can't afford to buy enough pots to fill the space~

any hints for me, how to get them to "fill in" better? Is there something I can do to make conditions better for these plants? the plant tag said full sun was fine, but this is really an exposed area, is that the problem? Is there any other groundcover that feels nice on the feet that grows and fills in spaces quickly?

I planted a bit of corsican mint but that hasn't spread at all, the moss spread a tiny bit at least. I wouldn't be averse to real moss but I think there might be too much sun for it?

Keep in mind this is my second summer with my very first garden, so what seems obvious to you might be an epiphany for me! Thanks for any ideas

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus