Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathielo

Vinca Minor

kathielo
13 years ago

I think after reading here that I want to plant Vinca minor in our wooded area on our property. I am trying to create a nature walk for the grandkids but it is slow going. The area is, of course, wooded and on a hill and I suspect a rock ledge. Most of the original soil has eroded so the ground is very rocky, grassy in some spots and moss covered. I clear sections, add some dirt and plant whatever I can. Some things take, most struggle or are eaten by the deer and rabbits.

So am I fighting a losing battle or will vinca minor work for me? When would be the best time to plant it? Would it come up in the spring through the fall leaves? Does it creep up trees and shrubs? Is this a problem? Does it smother the unwanted grass and weeds or would they fight for the space? What would I have to do to prepare the planting area besides rake up the leaves and add some soil? Any particular kind of soil? How easily does it take and when would be the best time to plant it?

I see our local garden center is selling it in a flat so it would be new stuff. Because the area is mostly wooded, there would be dappled sun, no easy water access...must depend on rain which we are getting none of this yr...

Any other suggestions for this type of area would be appreciated. I need smothing that tolerates drought conditions and little or no attention.

Thanks, Kathie

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz