|We are currently building a stone path and I have a hard time deciding what kind of groundcover to plant between the stones. My path is mostly in full sun; a bit in good morning sun (4 hours) (zone 5).
Most of the path will be under the snow all winter, so the GC will be protected. However, on the side of my house, the first ten feet or so of the path gives access to the garbage cans. My husband will have to shovel the path in this area during the winter, exposing the stone and also the GC.
I am wondering about the impact this winter exposure will have on my unprotected GC. Does anyone have a similar situation? Do you know of any GC that would stand such conditions? My mother, in similar conditions, used irish moss, but it really is badly affected about every other year and it takes a long while during the summer to be nice looking again. I even wonder if it would not be better to put crushed stone between the slate stones in this first 10 feets...
Thank you for any idea/opinion.
Return to the Groundcovers Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here