|We are currently building a stone path and I have a hard time deciding what kind of groundcover to plant between the stones. My path is mostly in full sun; a bit in good morning sun (4 hours) (zone 5).
Most of the path will be under the snow all winter, so the GC will be protected. However, on the side of my house, the first ten feet or so of the path gives access to the garbage cans. My husband will have to shovel the path in this area during the winter, exposing the stone and also the GC.
I am wondering about the impact this winter exposure will have on my unprotected GC. Does anyone have a similar situation? Do you know of any GC that would stand such conditions? My mother, in similar conditions, used irish moss, but it really is badly affected about every other year and it takes a long while during the summer to be nice looking again. I even wonder if it would not be better to put crushed stone between the slate stones in this first 10 feets...
Thank you for any idea/opinion.
Return to the Groundcovers Forum
- You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
- HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
- No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.