Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizannthrope

vinca minor vine / periwinkle

MizAnnThrope
10 years ago

I want to take vinca out of a flower bed in the backyard and put it in flower beds in the front of the house that I have yet to landscape. I'm also considering putting it in the space between the sidewalk and the street, altho I think that area may be too sunny right now. (Eventually, I hope to put a tree or two out there) The front flowerbeds will eventually contain bushes, trees and bulbs. I have three questions (and please feel free to chime in with any other helpful info):
1) I've heard that, because it's so aggressive, vinca should not be planted next to the house. True?
2) I believe that the vinca won't interfere with the bushes and trees, right? What about the bulbs?
3) The front flowerbeds now contain only mulch, which I intend to leave there, as I believe the vinca will spread underneath it just fine; or, should I remove the mulch to allow the vinca to spread more quickly?
Thx so much.

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

How aggressive the plant may be will depend on growing conditions but in NO WAY is it too aggressive to plant next to a house! If happy, vinca can climb up into or over the lower stems of shrubs but it is very easy to keep pulled away. Most bulbs should grow through it easily unless the cover becomes very thick.

Vinca minor prefers an evenly moist, organically rich soil in at least part shade. Too much sun stunts growth and bleaches out the foliage - it is happiest in a woodland type setting and can be somewhat invasive if planted close to natural areas that offer those conditions. Vinca roots as it goes, so depending on how thick the mulch is, you may not need to remove.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

In full sun locally. I don't know if the lumps indicate a shrub underneath or not. I'd remove the bulbs while you can still find them.

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

My experience with Vinca is such that I would never recommend it, ever. Too many beautiful alternates exist.
    I also have a sea or Epimediums, slghtly taller than the periwinkle, and taking territory away from the periwinkle. Epimediums need string trimming just before blooming, as they are shabby, by then, and it makes the blooms more apparent, but that is the only maintenance I do. Vinca has plans to take over the Planet and I consider it a curse.

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

There was a solid cover of vinca between a row of azaleas and a cobble stone lined path. In the last 2 weeks I have taken it all out even to two feet beyond the other side, and used trimmers and herbicide to clear the rest, with no fear of harming the azaleas.
    Amazing tedious work with a hand claw tool after each of the thousands of little crowns, clawed loose and hand pulled. I only did about 6 feet at a time, as I like my brain cells, and want to keep as many as possible. Before and after photos are a great encouragement. Spring bulbs called Spanish Bluebells or daffodils have never been challenged by the complete cover of vinca.

• jaclynm210
    10 years ago

Many years ago my grandma took a small piece of vinca from in from of the post office and now the house has vinca on all sides and even some patches are in the woods behind the house now. It is so difficult to get rid of and is an ongoing process, the one side where we thought it was gone it turns out little vinca shoots are coming up. I like vinca's looks and small purple flowers but the way it spreads is a bit much.

• kitasei
    10 years ago

Anyone looking to get of their vinca in the ny metro area, please let me know! I'll be there with a spade in a flash. It is the perfect groundcover for my situation.

Sponsored