Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil depth for Mother of Thyme

Posted by witeowl 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 11:24

We're digging up our cruddy Reno dirt (sandy/rocky) and replacing it with topsoil in preparation for spreading ground covers. While we're doing four inches in most areas, there's a disagreement for the spot where Mother of Thyme is going (Thymus s. coccineum). I say we still do four inches, she she says only two inches is adequate.

Can anyone help settle this?

(Yes, I know, it sounds insignificant, but every inch adds up. This is a rare case where I'd be happy to be wrong.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil depth for Mother of Thyme

The deeper the better especially if it rocky soil, water will not be retained so go with 4" and you will not have to water as much.

o

Actually, the thyme will do very well in your existing "cruddy", sandy/rocky soil, providing that soil drains well. Thymes and other herbs with Mediterranean origins (lavender, rosemary, oregano, etc) are low water or xeric plants native to areas that tend to have very lean, rocky soils with excellent drainage and prefer those kind of conditions over soils that are overly fertile and moisture retentive.

Personally, I'd save the better soil for areas that are going to accommodate plants with deeper roots and fussier preferences :-)

o

Thanks to both. I did a little more googling and found exactly your point, gardengal, that thyme wants drainage. So it's getting two inches of soil, the "proper" flower bed is getting extra soil, and my back and shoulders are a bit grateful that I didn't have to pick/shovel as deep this morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here