Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saddleup_gw

Any info on gaultheria procumbens (wintergreen) appreciated!

saddleup
14 years ago

Hello!

I have a spot along my house that I would like to plant some groundcover. It is primarily shaded, and I would like evergreen, and really like creeping wintergreen. I love it for it's burgundy/green color, the berries, and being evergreen. Although it seems pretty expensive, considering it grows in the wild too.

I am hoping anyone can share what they know about this plant, and I'd love to see photos of what you have as well. I am reading that it is very slow growing, which is the only thing I don't like about it. But I love everything else! I can see myself throwing in some large rocks in the bed for focal points, and would hope, eventually, it would just grow in and hopefully keep out weeds in this area. Am I being too optomistic?

I like periwinkle as well, and see that it's fast growing, maybe a bit invasive, but I like the flowers, and it seems the flowering time is short. I'm not sure it would have the appeal to me without the flowers. With the wintergreen, there are other pleasing things, the change in leaf color eventually, the berries, I just love this plant.

Does anyone have photos they can share? I have two reasons to plant a ground cover here. To add something nice to look at in this spot, and hopefully, eventually, keep out weeds. I know periwinkle is much cheaper and fast growing, but it just doesn't seem to flower long enough...or does it? The wintergreen...I'm just in love! And just goes with the "woodland setting" of my yard.

I would love to hear anyones experiences with this plant! Thank you!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County