Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyingflower

Is wooly thyme my only choice?

flyingflower
16 years ago

I need to chose a groundcover to go inbetween stepping stones in an area that has NO shade. There is irrigation but that will only run every other day so the soil might dry out before it gets another drink of water. My main concern is selecting a plant that can surive the 3 hottest months of the year (July-Sept). Even if I beefed up the water to once a day (which I really don't want to do) during the worst heat waves I'm afraid it will still dry out before the day is through. So the plant has to have some tolerance for dry conditions.

Wooly thyme seems to be my best choice but I'm not loving it's grey color. I need a plant that will stay short so I'm not constantly mowing it down to the level of the stone. What other choices are out there for me, can I use any thyme? Is wooly the only one that is rugid enough to withstand the hot, dry, CA sun?

Lots of different groundcovers out there but when you're looking for the teeny tiny low growing kind the list seems to shrink considerably.

The two other low growing groundcovers I see at all the nurseries are blue star creeper and baby tears but as much as I like their appearance I don't think they're going to do well in this location given the garden's watering schedule.

Comments (2)

Sponsored