Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping Jenny Devastation

Posted by Curmudgeon10 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 13:25

We have (er, had) four areas of vigorous creeping jenny that has been highly satisfactory for 6 or 7 years. Yes, it must be picked and controlled to prevent spreading beyond the desired area. I do it with a string trimmer.

This Spring, for the first time ever, small catepillars starting going through the plants. We killed the critters, but even where there were no catepillars (2 of the 4 areas), the plants have just "shrunk"; the leaves are about one half or less than the size of a vigorously growing plant --- this has allowed weeds to grow, which pretty much defeats the entire purpose of a ground cover.

Does this cultivar have a "life span?" Does anyone know what might be happening? I see no alternative but to dig up these patches and start over. Ugh.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping Jenny Devastation

On the Perennials forum someone else mentioned this happening. I don't have any idea what it is eating them at your place.

I don't think it has a life span, but is due to the munching. It also likes moisture & prefers rich soil.

It didn't grow so well for me in the shade in one bed, but when I moved it to an area richly amended with compost in more sunshine it took off like crazy. Then I went back to that 1st bed to amend more with compost & it's covered it as well. Could be the vine weevils in that 1st bed died down. I don't know if vine weevils attack it or not, but I know there were vine weevils in the 1st bed nibbling on the rhodie & the 'Wanda' Primrose.

Maybe if you pull the weeds, add a lot of compost, it will spread again for you to fill in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here