Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping wire vine info?

Posted by MrBreeze z6/7 OK (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 14:23

I got this ground cover sometime earlier this year. Its from New Zealand. I really like it and I'm nearly certain that the tag listed my zone as being acceptable. So far it doesn't seem to have a problem with our dry heat (or moist heat). I suppose I'm really more worried about the heat then the cold since its my impression that much of NZ experiences more "cool" temps then hot ones. Having said that, I'm wondering about the winter. Does anyone have any experience with this groundcover? I'm wondering/hoping that a decent layer of leaf mulch from the surrounding Oaks will be fine. Any tips or personal experiences with its cold hardiness, are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping wire vine info?

• Posted by Josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 3:26

If this is Muehlenbeckia, I'm not sure it would be hardy in your zone. I grew it for several years in zone 8 but lost it...but I can't say definitely if it was due to cold temps...may have been in too heavy soil. I'd start a pot for carrying over inside for winter if I were to try again.

Good luck. It's always fun to try. Often a protected spot under eaves close to house will give a few degrees extra warmth. I'd try a bit in several locations, plus some in a pot - just in case. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Muehlenbeckia complexa

o

Enjoy it now - it's unlikely to winter over for you. And no concerns about heat - New Zealand's climate is quite diverse, from alpine areas to subtropical regions - but the bulk of the country has climates that are the equivalent of our zone 8 or higher and most plants with New Zealand origins will need very mild climate zones to survive.

o

I am on the edge of zones 7b and 8a. I have grown creeping wire vine for years as a ground cover - and as a 'green mulch'. It is evergreen and gorgeous year round for me. I absolutely love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here