Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
groundcover for flagstone pathway

Posted by clarkgarden zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 14:33

I've recently done some work to my mother's flagstone pathway that she put in a few years ago. I removed all of the weeds as well as grass from the lawn that had overtaken a lot of the path. Now we are looking into redoing the path by redigging it, adding more sand, changing out broken stone, as well as adding a groundcover plant that will help keep the other weeds and grass out. The path is in direct sun for most of the day. I've looked into creeping thyme varieties as well as Irish Moss, which seems to be a nice pick but which makes more sense? Is it better to buy the plant or the seeds? We also have a nearby birdfeeder; are the birds likely to eat the seeds if we choose that route?

Any help would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: groundcover for flagstone pathway

I am looking to replace Irish and Scotch moss and Corsican mint with something else. They aren't reliably evergreen for me. Not sure if they rot out or what but winter kills them back so far every year and I have to start over. Love the look, hate their growth habits or lack thereof...

I'm looking at Elfin Thyme and I will be buying plants not seeds. I have no patience for seeds and most groundcovers spread really well so you don't need a ton of plants...

o
RE: groundcover for flagstone pathway

'Georgia Blue' Veronica ped... is lovely in all seasons of the year here & for me grows about 8" tall flopping a bit. It doesn't like to dry out, but it does like good drainage, so not sure if it would work for your area.

Thymes are excellent, but need to be carefully weeded until established into a carpet. Takes precision fingers to do it, but it can be done. The dense top holds a bit of moisture & I find weeds germinating right inside it, but they're easy to pull.

The bird seed might be the source of those weeds...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here