Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for removing Rubus pentalobus

Posted by linelle 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 14:46

In April 2011, I had my lawn removed and front yard contoured and planted with drought-resistant plants. I worked with a landscape designer who came up with all the plants. I was unfamiliar with many of them at the time. Now, into my second summer, I'm thrilled with the results and really love 90% of my plants.

The one I decided I dislike is Rubus pentalobus. I think it's plain ugly. Fortunately, I only have two (not contiguous) and they haven't spread that much--yet. They certainly want to spread! I've been trimming them back around their edges, but think I'm gonna dig them out.

Any pointers for removal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for removing Rubus pentalobus

Just dig 'em up. Nothing special about removal.

Sorry you don't care for the plant...... creeping raspberry is perhaps my favorite type of groundcover. And easily the best I've ever encountered on weed suppression.

o

gardengal48, thanks for the response! One of the plants is in an area that gets a little shade and it's much nicer, greener. The one I can't stand is getting a lot of sun and just looks nasty.

The thing is, I really don't need to cover the ground too much. My yard is small and I don't mind a few open areas between plants. I wondered if digging them up was difficult, because I read somewhere that they could be tenacious, with all the below-surface runners. I think I'll put a Phormium Amazing Red in its place.

Thanks again for your help. I can see where these guys would be very good for weed suppression. I've got a pretty good drip system and it hasn't been too hard to keep weeds at bay.

o

It does spread via rhizomes as far as I know, but you can just dig them out.

o

It may be just a misunderstanding of what the term means but the rubus is not rhizomatous. It does have the ability to root along the stems as it spreads, but these are equally easy to remove.

FYI, although everyone knows what plant one is referring to when using Rubus pentalobus or calycinoides, the correct botanical name for this plants is Rubus hayata-koidzumii (which is quite a mouthful!)

o

^Thanks for the clarification. Growers have yet to adopt this updated nomenclature, unfortunately, and still use pentalobus and calycinoides interchangeably.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here