Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can Pachysandra and Vinca co-exist?

Posted by Nathaniel Hudson Valley NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 15:08

I would like to give the large oval turnaround at the house a complete makeover. Right now it's a general mess of weeds and native ferns and a few mature trees. About half is covered in shade most all day; the other half gets strong afternoon light.

I understand Pachysandra likes shade, so if the shady part got that plant and the sunny part got Vinca, would they play well together? Would I need to create a type of stone barrier to keep them apart? And what are the aesthetic challenges in mixing groundcovers?

thanks very much for any thoughts.
Nate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can Pachysandra and Vinca co-exist?

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 3, 05 at 7:33

My own thoughts: I'd stick with one groundcover, the vinca. It's less fussy and establishes faster in our region. It'll be happy in shade and sun. Leaves from the trees will fall between the plants as they move in the breeze.

I'm trying to imagine the two together in a large area. If you really want the two, how about separating them visually with a drift of something taller, like large hostas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here