Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shrubby_gw

Help - Time to plant ground covers, vinca minor

shrubby
16 years ago

Hello! I am very new to gardening but I found this wonderful forum and am delighted to see so many kind, knowledgable people on these forums. :)

I have a long story about the landscaping around my house, but I won't go into detail. Basically before I moved in 2 years ago, the owners took fantastic care of it, and since then I have let it go. My husband and I cleared out the weeds we have let grow in our flower beds so we pretty much have a clean slate. (Although somehow some crab grass weeds are starting to come up in spots...)

There is one section where I would like to plant vinca minor as a ground cover. I'm not worried about its invasiveness since the area is mostly surrounded by pavement. But I was wondering if it is the right time to plant vinca minor, in late summer? I was thinking about ordering from a nearby nursery, but they sell in clumps of 100 and I have no idea what this means or if this will be enough to cover this area. It's inexpensive enough, I think.

What the previous owners had used as groundcover was some sort of juniper, but we don't want to use that again, and it ended up dying somehow, so I thought maybe vinca minor might be a good groundcover, but any other suggestions would be welcome. Right now it's bare dirt and it needs to be filled in with something.

Comment (1)

Sponsored