Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Time to plant ground covers, vinca minor

Posted by shrubby 6, TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 17:06

Hello! I am very new to gardening but I found this wonderful forum and am delighted to see so many kind, knowledgable people on these forums. :)

I have a long story about the landscaping around my house, but I won't go into detail. Basically before I moved in 2 years ago, the owners took fantastic care of it, and since then I have let it go. My husband and I cleared out the weeds we have let grow in our flower beds so we pretty much have a clean slate. (Although somehow some crab grass weeds are starting to come up in spots...)

There is one section where I would like to plant vinca minor as a ground cover. I'm not worried about its invasiveness since the area is mostly surrounded by pavement. But I was wondering if it is the right time to plant vinca minor, in late summer? I was thinking about ordering from a nearby nursery, but they sell in clumps of 100 and I have no idea what this means or if this will be enough to cover this area. It's inexpensive enough, I think.

What the previous owners had used as groundcover was some sort of juniper, but we don't want to use that again, and it ended up dying somehow, so I thought maybe vinca minor might be a good groundcover, but any other suggestions would be welcome. Right now it's bare dirt and it needs to be filled in with something.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Time to plant ground covers, vinca minor

The good thing about vinca is that it is very hardy. I'm in Phoenix, and I have them in full-sun in my front yard. They enjoy warm weather, and will die out with your first frost. I would check to see what your average first frost date is for your area. It may be too late at this point, but you really should check with your county extension service. Or even call around to some of your local nurseries and see what they recommend for a quick and easy solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here