Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfless_gw

Poison Ivy and groundcover

kfless
9 years ago

I was planning on establishing a groundcover (vinca) under some Austrian pines and hemlocks in my backyard, because I am tired of buying mulch and pulling weeds. Until now there has just been bark mulch under these trees. This year, after a record snowfall and rainy spring, I have been battling poison ivy seedlings everywhere in the backyard, particularly under these trees. I am incredibly allergic and have a 4 year old. A part of me is hesitant to start a ground cover, because I wonder if the poison ivy will love this cover. Also, I might not catch it when it is young, if it has a place to hide. Anyone get a lot of poison ivy in their yard? What did you do to keep it out? Should I avoid planting a groundcover, because of the poison ivy popping up everywhere, or will the cover snuff it out? I tend to think it will benefit from the cover. I just bought this house, so I don't know if this will be a continuing problem or if I just got a lot of it this year, because of the record rain. Any experience from poison ivy experienced gardeners is greatly appreciated!