Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djmadadam

Need help ID'ing

DJMadAdam
18 years ago

When I expanded my garden, I bought a bag of what was supposed to be nutrient-enriched soil and mixed it with the pre-existing soil which was rather dry and sandy in some places. Fortunately, we've gotten quite a few rainy days here so the soil has kept itself moist much of the time.

Now, this is either the consequence of there having been seeds inside the bags of soil that I introduced or airborne seeds found their way into the bed. But, in addition to the seeds that I've planted, I have a carpet of two types of plants, or weeds, that I can't identify.

Both are low-lying and not necessarily undesirable or unattractive. One has purplish clover- or club-shaped leaves and they have just sprouted tiny yellow flowers, the overall plant being no more than 2" tall and, aggregately, rather full and pillowy. The other is more odd: a series of 5-6 strands or stems emanating from a central origin with a very shallow root system, the oval leaves no more than 1/8" across and a typical green color with a darker purplish capsule-shaped spot in its center, occurring in sets of two along the length of the stem and, so far, flowerless.

I already Googled "purple clover leaves" + "yellow flower" and obtained results showing variations on the clover family, similar to BOTH these plants/weeds in question, bu which I do not believe are the same as what I have. I wish I had a digital camera as I'd just photograph these things for everyone to view. Despite this obstacle, does anyone have any ideas on what it is that's growing in my garden?

Thanks for everyone's attention and help.

-Adam

Comments (3)

Sponsored