Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dannie_gw

Ground cover ideas?

dannie
16 years ago

Hi all

I am new to this forum but I do visit gardenweb daily on other forums. I have an interesting situation. Four years ago we sodded with Kentucky blue grass and it isn't doing well. The area is dappled sun and shade from two large silver maples. The soil is clay and compacts easily from us walking on it. I also have 3 Shelties that are occasionally on it. On the north side of the house, moss is growing and I am tempted to let it take over. However, in the main part of the yard, I have a very large weedpatch rather than a lawn. Planting a ground cover was suggested by a neighbour and I am looking for ideas. I have done extensive searches at most of the stepable sites and the only thing that seems remotely suitable is Lotus corniculatus Plenus "Double Bird's Foot Trefoil". Does anyone have any comments on this groundcover or can suggest another groundcover? I need something that will survive our winters which do occasionally dip down to -40F. We usually have a decent snow cover during the winter. Below is a picture of the area.

As you can see, I have a nice crop of weeds and not much grass. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Danni

Sponsored
Groff Landscape Design, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winnning Landscape Design-Build Firm | Best of Houzz