Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping thyme - patches of large plant seem to be dying

Posted by mscolere 3 - Calgary (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 21:29

I recently noticed an otherwise healthy creeping thyme (red thyme) plant of mine that is 4 years old has small patches where the thyme has died out. The plant is about 4 ft wide by 2 feet long. Yearly I have cut out small sections to ensure the center does not die out and it has done very well for me. This past week I notices that small sections about 4 inches by 4 inches seem to be dried right out and dead in the middle of the plant. I did also notice there are some bugs nesting in there (aphids, mosquitos, nats or something - not quite sure)Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping thyme - patches of large plant seem to be dying

I have some that lost all the leaves in large patches. It eventually came back.

o
RE: Creeping thyme - patches of large plant seem to be dying

Bushy plants invite bugs. Without chemicals, that's how it's going to be! Or you can get a pond and encourage frogs to reproduce there to eat the bugs. We have what seems like hundreds of tadpoles in our pond. I think it's gonna be like Moses' plague when they get legs & come out of there!

My guess is they are just dry, and maybe a bit sunburned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here