Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happening to the thyme??

Posted by ehamm 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 0:07

I have a large patio with 4' x 4' concrete squares divided by 3" gaps that are planted with creeping thyme. The thyme is watered using an automatic underground watering system. The patio is in full sun most of the day (with a couple of areas that are in part shade). The thyme was planted about a year ago and has done great until just recently. I am now noticing that in certain areas, it is turning black. The black patches appear to start below the surface...at the soil level but eventually take over the whole area. When you touch the black areas, they are dried out and brittle.

I can't seem to find anything anywhere that can identify the problem I am having, therefore, I don't know what to do to treat it. Is it root rot? Or something else? I really haven't done anything differently lately, however, it has been hot. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happening to the thyme??

How often does the automatic watering system come on and for how long? Thyme is extremely drought tolerant once established and should need very little supplemental irrigation. Based on your description of the watering system and the plants, I'd guess too much water, leading to root rot.

o

I have been watering 3x per week for 6 minutes at a time. When you say thyme "should need very little supplemental irrigation", what do you mean by "very little"? What kind of watering schedule would you suggest?

Also, assuming it does have root rot, will the thyme come back if I correct the watering schedule? Or should I tear out the affected areas and start over?

Thanks for your help!

o

my thyme does the same thing in my hanging basket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here