Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronc_gw

Grass & MY Dog

RonC
18 years ago

Does ANYONE have a diffinitive answer for the

burned out areas caused by my, or any dogs?

Some say PH; some say nitrogen. You would

think the vet's at least would agree.

Comments (8)

• danihoney
    18 years ago

Here's what I've found... Sorry to say that even with this information, we still have burned areas (two females and a male that doesn't lift his leg). The burned grass is caused by the breakdown of protiens in the pets food. I do think it is nitrogen in high concentration. I've been told that the higher the quality the food, the more efficiently the dog utilizes the protiens resulting in a lower concentration in the waste. The other thing you can do is increase the amount of water the dogs drinks in an attempt to dilute the urine. The only way I have been able to do that is by adding water to our dogs dry food, making it soupy. We tried a few other "sure things" from the pet store, I wouldn't bother with those again. I have to say that we have definitely seen a decrease in the burned areas, but with three dogs and a small grassy area, the odds are against me. Also, when I happen to be in the yard at the same time as my dogs, I grab the hose and heavily water the site where the dog has urinated. That seems to help. Sorry to not be diffinitive, that is the best answer I have recieved so far and it makes a lot more sense to me that some of the other more vague ones.

Hope this helps.

Danielle

• RonC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks, honey.

• danihoney
    18 years ago

my pleasure :o)

• masonbarge
    18 years ago

The burn is caused by concentrated nitrogen in the dog's urine -- nitrogen would hardly be a solution! Dog pee is actually good for grass in small/diluted amounts.

The ONLY real solution is to flush the area with water within an hour or two.

• danihoney
    18 years ago

Who said anything about nitrogen being a "solution"?

• greenguy
    18 years ago

if you use all natural fert. instead of chemicals if will make a huge difference if not completely correct the problem.

chemical ferts kill all or most of the microganisms and bacteria in the soil that would normally be able to break down the urine from your dogs before the grass burns out. and they are normally lower in nitrogen which will help. you will still get a dark green lawn that will end up looking better.

• lyael
    18 years ago

My next-door neighbor has been battling brown spots caused by the rabbits that hang out on the lawn at night. No way to be sure and hose it down right after, unless she wants to sit up all night long!

Her problems have inspired me to put in St. Augustine (this week, actually, yay!) because, while decidedly less lovely in texture, apparently has the ability to "recover" from the burn caused by animal urine. We'll see. Best luck.

• charleshx
    18 years ago

Several, about 4 to 6 inch diameter completely browwn spots in Marathon 2 fescue lawn caused by female dog. Watering, fertilizing etc. didn't help. What can I do to revive the grass?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner