Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deltaskye

How to cover a large area temporarily

deltaskye
11 years ago

Thanks to the destructive derecho (wind storm), felled trees, and heavy equipment used to make repairs and clean up my property, large areas of my landscaping are destroyed and I'm looking at lots of dirt. Now I've decided to do some renovations, which means more crews and equipment coming in.

Is there something I can plant that will cover the ground until I'm ready to landscape and garden again? Given the size of the area, I'd love to find something to grow from seed. The area receives substantial sun. I was actually thinking of borrowing an idea from farmers and planting rye as a winter ground cover. That's only good for one year, but it might save time.

Also, are there some perennials or annuals that would grow easily from seed? Perhaps some I could sow this fall (coming soon)? I know one can buy large lots of wildflower seeds; are those successful?

When one broadcasts seed over a large area, does one have to till and prep the soil first? I removed all my grass years ago, and I've only used seed for annuals in small areas that were easy to prep. I've never faced a large area.

Comments (4)

Sponsored