Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
steep sunny bank

Posted by dwcoffey mid-GA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 10:37

Hi Folks!
We have a fairly steep, full sun sloping bank that needs plants! We don't want to cover in grass because it will be a headache to mow and...grass is no fun when we can have things much nicer! The bank slopes down to the edge of our concrete driveway and runs alongside the full length of the driveway, its about 12 to 15ft wide and about 80ft long.
I've looked at Creeping Phlox and possibly wintercreeper, but I think mayb emore variety would be better. I'm guessing that the whole area planted in one plant will not be so nice. I've thought about doing something like maybe an ornamental grass at the top of the slope, then maybe Plumbago and then Creeping Phlox....working from the top of the slope down to the driveway. But that also sounds too predictable and too plain.....so.....I'm looking for ideas....we'd like to have something that is pretty to look at for as much of the year as possible, preferably evergreen, and definitely good at erosion control since this area washes off right over the driveway and down toward the garage. Thanks for your ideas!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: steep sunny bank

There are so many plants that come to mind. Juniperus squamata 'Blue star', J. conferta 'Silver Mist', Cotoneasters, Juniperus'Blue Forest' and 'Pancake'. Comptonia perigrina, Amelanchier stolonifera,Lathyrus latifolia,Jasminium nudiflorum,Rhus aromatica 'Gro-Lo', and any number of Sedums. Have you considered stones or flat rocks, mixed in.
Certainly not dull or boring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here