Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cotoneaster dammeri leaves turning brown

Posted by adp_abq 7b NM (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 10:54

Hi:

I have a cotoneaster dammeri groundcover that over the past month has been turning brown (the leaves). I usually water it deeply every 2 weeks via drip system but have increased to once a week. It gets part shade and was planted last sept. Is this the result of an insect or does it need more water?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of leaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cotoneaster dammeri leaves turning brown

the picture of the leaf is too dark for me to see anything but a shillouette of the leaf...but it doesn't look like a dried out leaf (there's usually some curling or cupping associated with dessication)

what percentage of the leaves are browning? are they at the tips, or closer to the crown? are there clusters of them, or are they scatterd? what is the texture of them like?

o

I can see the pic- the apex half of the leaf is brown. There is a clean demarkation between the green and brown. The green base shows no mottling or yellowing.

o

Lace bugs love cotoneaster, at least they like mine. However, the leaves usually look mottled, not half brown. If you have lace bugs, you can tell by looking on the back of the leaf. There will be brown and black specks, even if the bug has left. Cotoneaster is also very drought tolerant. Perhaps a fungus? I would ask a local nursery, they should be able to tell you.

o

Cotoneasters also are not overly fond of fertilizers - have you added some there recently?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here