Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkka_gw

Where can I buy 'Creeping Charlie' seed?

elkka
12 years ago

Otherwise known as Glechoma hederacea.

I have literally spent 2 hours online searching.

Yes I understand it's considered an invasive weed.

My front lawn has already partially succumbed to it and I like the way it looks. I was planning to get rid of the lawn anyway to replace it with a ground cover, so this is working in my favor. The problem is it's taking too long to choke off the grass and I'd like to speed up the process.

Any tips or sources where I could get this plant so I can hurry and propagate it before winter?

Comments (8)

• wren_garden
    12 years ago

OMG I am constantly fighting Charlie, he is in every one of my 12 flower beds. The idea I would seed it is horrific Lol. That being said, I too have it in my lawn and it is pretty there. I would just dig up some patches and plant it around the yard like plugs. Lift some of the sod and rough up the soil, plant and water. It is as tough as nails. Give him and inch and he will head out for a mile. If you have flower beds or borders near this Charlie lawn, it helps to put in a hard edging. Brick, stone, plastic edging etc. In beds that have plants 12" or taller, I don't even try to clear the charlie any more. I think of him as green mulch. The bed of low sedums is the only one that is hurt by charlie. If I don't keep after him the sedums are shaded out and smothered by charlie. I mowe over him and he just thickens up so he makes a nice lawn.

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

My whole yard is practically creeping charlie and I've never seen it go to seed. (Travel underground and pop up several feet away, yes, but not seed.) It flowers prolifically, though, so perhaps the seeds are very small?

Mine co-exists with the grass and other weeds, so I doubt it will ever take over completely for you, but you could try a grass-specific selective herbicide. But I bet the grass comes back... grass reseeds itself quite well!

I'm rooting for Charlie, too. I'd love to stop mowing altogether.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

If you find a source for seeds, please let us know. I would love to get more of this going in my lawn.

• shellyf
    10 years ago

Since you already have some you may be better off trying to propogate that instead of planting from seed. I am like you - I want to grow it (in a controlled area) as I have a shady spot where the only other thing I seem to be able to grow is moss... I have found that broken bits of plants will reroot, so you may want to try raking up the grass and spreading bits of your existing creeping charlie plants around. I know it will look baren until they take root, but you could wait decades for it to actually take over the lawn on it's own.

Good Luck!

This post was edited by shellyf on Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:38

• Carol Baker
    7 years ago

Interesting find, so many years later. I just found out that CC flowers attract the pollinators for blueberries! Now I am growing it deliberately. I forget where I found this picture but the seed is available from OutsidePride.com

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    7 years ago

Carol, thanks for the info on outsidepride.com - just what I needed!

• emerogork
    7 years ago

One benefit for Creepy Charlie....

Plant it around your blueberry bushes. It at tracts pollinators at the same time the the bushes bloom.

Sponsored