Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need to kill vinca vine and pachysandra

Posted by cheflara z6NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 05 at 13:37

hi, I have pachysandra and vinca vine growing together in the same area and want to completely kill it so I can plant other plants. Any suggestions on what has worked for you would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Cheflara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need to kill vinca vine and pachysandra

1) post on freecycle.com, or craigslist.com and/or put up a sign or three promoting 'free dig-ur-own' plants.

2) get a heavy duty rake (not a fan shaped leaf rake, but a flat-headed one) and use a hoe-ing motion(downward chop into soil, take a step back, pulling the rake and plants back with you) to drag mats of plants out.

a heavy layer of mulch will discourage anything that got missed, and will allow you to do selective weeding (I'm a fan of the flame weeder from Leevalley.com)

the important thing to remember is that both of these spread by underground runners, so there is no such thing as a total kill the first time around.

the OTHER important thing to remember is that you need to know what will go in there well before you start pulling the plants out. once you break up that mat, you're opening yourself to weeds, erosion, and a general mess that can take years to repair.

(by the way- if you're putting shrubs in, there's no reason to remove the ground cover at all- ferns, bulbs, rhodidendrons, my oak-leaf hydrangeas- all of them live happily with both vinca and pachys.)

o
RE: need to kill vinca vine and pachysandra

Thanks, chinacat_sunflower, all the vine and pachysandra have been dug up, some given away..I'll pull up any new growth and plan on planting black eyed susans and shasta daisies there.
Cheflara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here