Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can live despite mowing? anything?

Posted by newskye uk-8b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 14:52

Help me out, fellow gardeners! I'm looking for a groundcover which won't be killed off by being mowed 2 or 3 times a year. Would lysimachia work? Ajuga?

The situation is that my neighborhood has a number of public areas that are chock full of weeds and overgrown grass, which I want to plant nicer things in. Last year I planted nasturtiums in several places, which were growing and blooming until the local council workers mowed it all down, killed my flowering plants and left the grass and weeds to grow all over the place again. It was so disheartening. I still want to work on it though, so if I could find a groundcover that would keep off the grass and weeds then that would be a start.

Can anyone give me any advice here? I have a "Midnight Sun" lysimachia which is very nice, and 2 types of ajuga I could take pieces from. Would either of these stand up to mowing once in spring, once in summer, and once in early fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can live despite mowing? anything?

Well, the obvious answer is clover of course. There are many varieties of clover. There are also quite a few varieties of ornamental grass.

I recently asked a similar question, and wold told lyre leaf sage could survive mowing, and blue eyed grass could survive occasional mowing.

I'm told ditch llilys can survive mowing.

Of course, most bulbs can survive occasional mowing....particularly grape hyacinth. None of these would choke out weeds.

Would creeping thyme work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here