Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justeen_bonsai

Baltic Ivy on stone wall

justeen_bonsai
17 years ago

We have a stone house and think it would look really nice to have ivy on part of it. After much research, I found that Baltic Ivy would be the best, considering the location (west facing stone wall about 30 ft high). But I just have to clarify, would it take the whole wall over? when do we prune it if necessary? is it safe of masonry work? will it die from the heat of the sun? when do we plant it? Thank you for any responses!

Comments (6)

• sarasmiles
    17 years ago

IÂve had Baltic and Boston ivy and find them both to be high maintenance in order to keep them in bounds. But, I did not have a 30 foot wall for them to explore. I was trying to keep the Baltic topped out at 10-12 feet and needed to trim it at least three times a year if I remember correctly. I finally tore it all out  what a relief. There was minimal damage to the mortar after approximately 10 years, but some of the rootlets are still clinging to the brick after three years. Removing it was a big job!

The Boston ivy is gorgeous, provides great shade for the south side of my house, and needs to be trimmed every couple of weeks to keep it from taking over. When I get too old to climb a ladder to trim it, it will have to be torn out also. Bummer.

IÂm in zone 6 and there has been no problem with them burning out from the sun.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

spring planting, give it ten years and it might engulf your yard before it climbs your house. twenty years and it will have taken most of your home over. It won't crawl up your house in a few years. But that's baltic in the deep south. For this reason alone I have found it makes a better hanging basket. I made the hanger up real quick, excuse the design, but it works. If ivy gets the least bit too wet it yellows, when it's young like that.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

you can see how fragile they are.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

I think this particular cultivar is shamrock ivy.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

however, something like this really is better suited indoors. It got too much water. There are strains of baltic that are really strong. the one I have couldn't take a house over. A little too yellow, but I like the way it looks. It'll bounce back. If it dies, well, it cost a couple bucks and couldn't take outside, let alone inside, anyway.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

it's drying out surrounded by peat. looks rougher in pics, lol. So a stone house, the watering, the wet dry process, holding the humidity, might really mess your brick up. like wood, it gets drier and drier the more wet it gets because when it dries it gets drier, more than it did the last time. sounds strange even a bit off, but, it is just what wood does. anyway they tell you that wood that gets wet and dries out multiple times is a bigger fire hazard in burn ban areas. Stone might be the same way and ivy will hold water awhile.