Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_georgiapeach

GC for Organic Matter in Veggie Garden

I have never planted GC before, but my soil is so poor of nutrients, that I think GC will be the best way to go. We have GA red clay here where I live, and for years I have fought it without success. Can not make enough compost to do any good. From everything I have read, GCs would work even better than compost does. This past year, in trying to improve the clay soil, I hauled in 12,000 lbs of Humus soil and had it tilled in with the clay soil, 2 bags of lime, 4 bags of old manure and slow released fertilizer, and raised the garden about 3-4 inches. But my vegetable garden still did poorly after all of this. My conclusion is that I need to work on the soil before planting another vegetable garden. I mainly grow tomatoes and bell peppers.(Don't know how big the area is, but it held 22 tomato plants and 5 bell pepper plants, and assorted herbs and 8 cucumber plants this year).This was the first year in that spot for a garden, so it was not a matter of rotating the plants. This is what I would like to do, but don't know what to do it with. I want to plant a cover crop for Fall/Winter that will add organic matter to my poor soil. Then just before Spring, I want to smoother that crop, and after those crop/crops have died, I want to plant a cover crop for the summer, and starting over with another crop in the Fall. In other words, I want to continuously plant cover crops for a year, enriching my soil in the process. I don't know what to plant for what I want to accomplish, can anyone make suggestions? Here where I live, the winters are not as harsh as they are up North, but we do get an occasional ice storm during the winter (usually Feb.) some times. While I am working on the soil for a year, I will be also trying to make as much compost as I can to add to the garden area before I plant a vegetable garden again. Also, since I am a Newbie to all of this, could you also suggest where you would buy seeds for these cover crops, have never seen any seeds sold for this.

Thanks in advance,

Sheila--Lincolnton, Georgia

Comments (7)

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I know alfalfa is recommended as a cover crop. Try Southern States, sometimes they have bins of seed and you can get less than a field full.

• honu
    18 years ago

Hi Sheila, I have red clay too. The groundcovers that I'm trying are alfalfa, red clover, and buckwheat that I got from the bulk section of a health food store (supposed to be for growing sprouts to eat). They grow easily in my poor soil, and the buckwheat self seeds and attracts lots of bees. The buckwheat is easy to pull. The clover and alfalfa have deep roots, so will be good for breaking up my hard clay and enriching the soil. I was warned by some not to grow alfalfa, I think because it can become invasive. However, my soil and conditions are not optimal for alfalfa, so they stay in check, and provide greens for my compost pile.
    Also, if nematodes are a problem, you can plant Tagetes minuta as a cover crop, and till into the soil to deter nematodes (see link below).
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nematocidal Marigold

• Sheila_GeorgiaPeach
    Original Author
    18 years ago

creatrix: I don't think we have a Southern States in my area because I have never heard of it.

Honu: Thanks for your input. But I am surprised that you have red clay too, I would never have thought of Hawaii as having such poor soil. I don't see how alfalfa could be any more invasive than the Bermuda Grass that we have here, so if Alfalfa would help to keep the Bermuda Grass down, it would be welcomed. The nearest big town to me where I might can find any type of cover crop seed, is over 60 miles from my house, and I have no idea what type of store to look for the seeds. We do have a feed store here in this small town, do feed stores carry cover crop seeds? Thanks for the link, I am saving it.
    Sheila

• creatrix
    18 years ago

Lincolnton Feed and Seed on North Washington Road is a Southern States affiliate.

I'm not associated with them in any way, I just really like the stores. Some have chicks in the spring, and horsestuff, all kinds of farm stuff. Fun to look at.

• Sheila_GeorgiaPeach
    Original Author
    18 years ago

creatrix: I was astounded when I read your post telling me where I could get alfalfa seeds here in Lincolnton, you must had done a lot of research to be able to get that information for me, and I really appreciated it. That is the feed store I mentioned in my last post, but didn't know they sold cover crop seeds there. Have only been in there a couple of times because they are quite small and don't carry a lot. Mostly I bought hay from them for mulch. Thanks a whole lot for the information.
    Sheila

• honu
    18 years ago

Hi Sheila,
    Seeds of Change has organic cover crops but I don't see alfalfa. I ordered on-line from them and was very pleased with everything. To see their selection, click on the "cover crops" link (on the LEFT side) of the Nematocidal Marigold link I sent you earlier.
    Also, below link is for Johnny's Selected Seeds, which has alfalfa. I also listed some web addresses for other companies that were recommended in my gardening books.

Peaceful Valley Farm:
    https://secure.groworganic.com/browse_seeds.html?sCategory=365

Territorial Seed Company:
    http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Summer-Sown_Cover_Crops_C417.cfm

Fedco Seeds (this link includes info on cover crops):
    http://www.fedcoseeds.com/ogs/covercrop_listing.htm

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny's Seeds

• Sheila_GeorgiaPeach
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Honu: Thanks for all the links, I will save them and check them out.
    Sheila

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville