Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Ideas for 'Evergreen' ground cover?

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 17:55

Hello,
I'm wanting some type of evergreen, pine, spruce or whatever to cover 2 areas beside my driveway entrance. I don't care for that juniper rug that I see 'everywhere'.....got any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Ideas for 'Evergreen' ground cover?

Look for Microbiota decussata, also known as Russian or Siberian cypress. It is a true groundcover-type conifer, only growing about a foot tall (and that's being generous) but spreads nicely to cover 5-6 feet. It has a soft, feathery foliage texture and turns color in winter, becoming a bronzy plum color. (Ignore the "dirty brown" comment in the attached link. This plant gets amazing attention in our display garden in midwinter due to its unusual and attractive coloration)

Pines or spruces really are not ideal chioces for a groundcover conifer as few grow low enough or spread enough to be effective. That's why junipers are so popular for this purpose. The Microbiota is a much classier and less common choice. Very hardy as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microbiota decussata

o
RE: Need Ideas for 'Evergreen' ground cover?

I have a commercial property with lots and lots of different kinds of evergreens. I still have to mow between them and I would like to find a way to end this chore. Would it be possible to plant Microbiota between the other trees and simply let it spread to cover the weeds? Would the Microbiota be detrimental in any way to the existing conifers or simply grow around them?

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here