Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground cover cloth question?

Posted by woco z6 UT (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 18:32

I want to put down some ground cover cloth and plant some bushes in the front of my house. My question is that there are tulips under the ground. Will they come up through the ground cloth or do I need to dig them up? I do not want the tulips to come back. Thanks for your help.

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground cover cloth question?

The landscape fabric is no longer recommended. It really doesn't help with weeds any more than the mulch does. Often, it causes more problems than it solves.

o

You will be very sorry you used this in a year or two. Getting that mess up will not be worth the effort it took to put it down.

o

no, tulips won't come up through the fabric- and killing them off is a shame, so digging them up if you can find a 'foster home' for them is a nice idea (my mother LOVES the tulips that came from my 'new' house)

but landscape fabric is a nightmare- it does nothing to stop weeds caused by windblown seeds, which then drop roots THROUGH the cloth, making pull-out a pest, soft-rooted bushes like azaleas can get shallow feeder roots tangled in it...not to mention that things like earthworms can't get through it either, making something of a mess of the ecosystem.

why BUY something that's less effective than the sunday newspaper that you're just going to throw out- or put in the 'paper recycling' tub at best?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here