Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowwoman_gw

Groundcover help!

yellowwoman
13 years ago

I just moved to Southern California inland empire area (DESERT!!) from Seattle and I have little knowledge of this climate or what does well here! I'm highly allergic to grass and have killed it all in my front and back yard. I've been looking at groundcovers, but the only nursery in town doesn't have much info...basically, I want one for my backyard (north facing) that can be walked on and can handle a dog who goes to the bathroom on it and is kid-friendly. There are gophers in the neighborhood, so hopefully something they don't enjoy!

Also, I need one for my front yard, which slightly slopes and is under a tree that looks like a maple tree, but still gets plenty of sun. I may do an ice plant or silver carpet for the front yard, as it won't be walked on, but that won't work for the backyard. My front yard does not have a fence, so I need something that won't invade my neighbor's lawn, as I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that! I have a sprinkler system in the front and back, but would like something that doesn't need much watering once established. Anyone have any advice? Thanks so much in advance! Also, if there is anyone in this area who would enjoy mentoring me about this new climate and garden cycles here, I'd very much appreciate it!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone