Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover help!

Posted by yellowwoman 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 20:05

I just moved to Southern California inland empire area (DESERT!!) from Seattle and I have little knowledge of this climate or what does well here! I'm highly allergic to grass and have killed it all in my front and back yard. I've been looking at groundcovers, but the only nursery in town doesn't have much info...basically, I want one for my backyard (north facing) that can be walked on and can handle a dog who goes to the bathroom on it and is kid-friendly. There are gophers in the neighborhood, so hopefully something they don't enjoy!

Also, I need one for my front yard, which slightly slopes and is under a tree that looks like a maple tree, but still gets plenty of sun. I may do an ice plant or silver carpet for the front yard, as it won't be walked on, but that won't work for the backyard. My front yard does not have a fence, so I need something that won't invade my neighbor's lawn, as I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that! I have a sprinkler system in the front and back, but would like something that doesn't need much watering once established. Anyone have any advice? Thanks so much in advance! Also, if there is anyone in this area who would enjoy mentoring me about this new climate and garden cycles here, I'd very much appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover help!

High Country Gardens is a good one for desert xeric plants. They don't really have anything I could see in their ground covers that sounded dog proof, they have some unusual grasses, I don't know if any would not activate your allergies.

Here's a reply on GW to your question, and perhaps a better forum for ideas-

Here is a link that might be useful: swest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here