Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover for under Hickory trees

Posted by mikaelpr 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 11, 06 at 21:46

The area under my Shagbark and Pignut Hickories stays a mess with fallen limbs and nuts. What's more, the lawn slopes so drastically that the sreet stays littered as well. I'm looking for a ground cover tall enough to hide the litter, thick enough to catch and hold the nuts to keep them out of the road and tough enough to take occasional foot traffic. Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover for under Hickory trees

Myrtle (Vinca minor) might work, but has a tendency to spread vigorously unless contained by a barrier of some sort.

o
RE: Groundcover for under Hickory trees

I have sweet woodruff under my 2 hicorkies and it seems to do a great job of looking neat in the summer. comes back every year and covers the old leaves/bark with a nice layer of green. but not much winter coverage in zone 5.

if you are still looking for a ground cover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here