Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amoc_gw

groundcover for large area?

amoc
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I hope I can get some help.

I have la LARGE strip, 200 ft by 15-20 ft at the back of my yard. It seems to be not my property, but the neighbor claims it is not his either and does not have a problem with me doing anything there. Anyway, the strip is between a row of pines on my side (the east side), and a number of maples on his side. The maples produce seedlings all the time. And since I cleared out the area last year, I have weeds growing that are taller than 6ft. I have also very aggressive vines - the kind you see at the side of the highway covering entire trees. And since I weeded there last week, I'm getting a poison ivy reaction. The weeds are spilling onto my lawn too, and actually I am just starting some beds next to the pines and they will be invaded in no time.

Anyway, the growth conditions are part shade, becoming closer to mostly shade as the pines grow. The soil is sandy, ph 6.5, not rich in nutrients and the area is moist, possibly wet in the spring. I would like a well spreading ground cover but one that would not spread on the lawn. It can spread on my beds next to the pines but not on lawn. (or mowing has to keep it at bay). Deciduous or evergreen, it does not matter. I can actually take several suggestions and start a few kinds and see what works best. I can continue to weed a couple of years while the ground cover gets established.

And another question, would there be any ground cover that would prevent maple seedlings from sprouting? They are growing like crazy in the back area and all over my yard too..

thanks much for any suggestions,

Anda

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH