Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Realized that Catharanthus roseus isn't hardy like true Vinca

Posted by nicerealtor1 z7 HSV AL (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 4:05

This spring I bought a hanging basket of what I thought was Vinca Minor. It bloomed glorously all summer in full sun, with a drip emitter keeping it watered. I took several cuttings and after a slow start, they are now beautiful too, and growing quickly and blooming spectacularly light pink. And no deadheading required, as the spent flowers fall right off.

I was all set to take a bunch of cuttings to use this as a groundcover, but I just realized that it's really Catharanthus roseus (Madagascar Periwinkle), hardy only in Zones 9-11. Since Huntsville, AL is in Zone 7, glad I realized this before I put a lot of effort into it.

Guess I'll just have to buy some seeds or buy another basket of it next spring and enjoy it that way next year. Sure wish I could have gotten something long-blooming like this growing as a perenial evergreen groundcover. Any suggestions?

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Catharanthus roseus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Realized that Catharanthus roseus isn't hardy like true Vinca

Mine come back from seed. I bought some years ago, and have never needed any more. Sometimes I need to move them, and they transplant well.

Look into Verbena 'Homestead Purple'. Mine blooms most of the summer and is evergreen to boot. It does need good drainage through the winter, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here