Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_ann_gw

When to plant Irish Moss seeds in Zone 6?

janet_ann
18 years ago

Hello Folks,

I want to plant Irish Moss seeds (Sagina Subulata) between stepping stones since it is similar to a weed called Pearlwort (Sagina procumbens) that does so well on my property.

Can I plant the seeds this fall and let it overwinter until spring, or should I simply wait for spring?

Also, is it difficult to start from seed and it is truly an evergreen that will stay green all winter?

Thanking you,

Janet

Comments (8)

• janet_ann
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Skybird!

I have one other question  two different companies sell seeds for "Irish Moss" and each botanical name is different! Can anybody define which one is correct?

Spring Hill Nursery say:
    "Arenaria verna caespitosa(syn. Minuartia verna)"

Outside pride says:
    "Sagina Subulata"

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

That's interesting! I've never heard Arenaria referred to as Irish moss! All the ones I know of are called some kind of moneywort---Spanish moneywort, mountain or Montana moneywort, etc.

I assume what you're looking for is Sagina subulata which has very fine, mossy looking green foliage. If you want some variation, there's also one with yellow foliage, Scotch Moss, Sagina s. 'Aurea', but I don't know if you'd be able to find seed for it or not. Actually, I never realized you could get seed for the green one! But then, I've never looked for it! But it does sound pretty easy to germinate, so just be sure it doesn't dry out after you sow it and until it up. And even after it's growing well, it likes fairly moist conditions (but not constantly saturated--that's not good for many things!)

Here's a link to the Irish Moss info on Perennials.com

Good luck, I hope it works for you,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Sagina subulata

• janet_ann
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Skybird: Yes, I want the green Irish Moss (Sagina Subulata).

Well, I intend to try this both ways (from existing plant, and from seed):

I just purchased some potted Irish Moss from eBay, and intend to plant it outside to see how well it overwinters.

I also intend to purchase seed and by following the Germination Database you supplied --(*thank you*)-- I will need to sow these seeds when the the weather gets warmer.

Once again, thank you for your response(s).

Janet

P.S. I read your page and smiled because at one time I wanted to be a stewardess -- but I was too short -- only the Japanese airlines would accept me!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

Wow! You must be short! I'm only 5'3"! United's going to start hiring again in December or January. Come fly with me! There's no absolute height minimum anymore--you just need to be able to reach a line that's 82" high on a wall. The pay's not very good, but if you like to fly and to travel, it's great anyway.

Good luck with both your plants and your seeds,
    Skybird

• rjcdesign
    15 years ago

I need a suggestion for a dense ground cover or moss that looks modern and uniform in its shape (graphic lines) for a border along a stone wall that surrounds concrete decking around a modern pool. Also, would this same ground cover or moss be appropriate for a larger area in front of the house in lieu of a typical grass lawn? Both areas are shady in the morning hours, but get ample sun in the afternoon. Any suggestions? I want the ground cover to be an evergreen, too -- with no colored flowers!

• okeygirl333
    14 years ago

Hey, I don't have an answer for you, but I do think you would have more success getting an answer if you would copy paste this and make it into a new thread. That way people see your question on the list page, rather than notice it accidentally at the bottom of this page. :) The idea of planting irish moss as the lawn is kinda fun though if it would live.

• Nanny45_verizon_net
    13 years ago

Call the company and ask,I live in Brooklyn and have a tiny apt. I would love to grow anything inside ,since I Don't have a yard anymore - I use growlights and I miss not having what I once had. I wonder if I could grow Irish moss seeds? And where I could get them. Thank You for your time and understanding. Joanne

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm