Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina25123

~what can i plant on a steep hill right in my front yard~

christina25123
17 years ago

I'm needing some help...in my frony yard I have a steep hill its about 200 feet long and 10-12 wide...My husband & son hates weedeating this. Is there any kind of ground coving we could plant that would spread like crazy & choke out the weeds!!! The hill gets alot of sun in the morning not as much in the afternoon and about 50 feet of the hill has poor, dry soil. Just incase you need to know I live in West Virginia. Any help would be GREAT & would make my husband & son very happy!!!

Comments (3)

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

Very few things actually choke out weeds that aren't weeds themselves. The plants which might are any of the invasives others complain about. Weeds pop up in most ground covers, so you will still have some work to do. I would plant daylilies, as they do spread somewhat and are dense enough to not allow weeds to come through. Start with a small area, and if whatever scheme you decide to implement actually works for you. Hills are hard to maintain, and to keep mulch on. Perhaps you could terrace the hill, and have some nice flower beds.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Perhaps creeping sedum would work here. I have a slope that is about 65 feet wide/long and about five feet high, out near the street (no sidewalks) and it has poor, rocky, dry soil, with the sand from winter added. I have creeping sedum here and it does great!

I've been adding it little by little, and the areas that are older are filled in very, very thickly and there are hardly any weeds. The more newly planted spots do have a few weeds (mostly grass) but as the sedum spreads the weeds get less.

I basically neglect this, other than water it once or twice a season, unless we have a bad drought (like last year - haven't watered it once this year). My variety, Weistenphaner's Gold, has small yellow flowers, but looks great out of bloom too, and turns a nice burgundy color in winter.

My only hestitation here is the amount of sun. I think creeping sedum needs almost full sun, but I may be wrong.

Good luck!
    :)
    Dee

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

That's a lot of land, you need to consider what portion of your total land that is, what uses you would like for it, and how much time you would want to spend maintaining it. You could terrace it with concrete mortarless retaining wall blocks and get more use out of it for growing shrubs, trees, blueberries, etc. You could make it a rock garden and grow dainty rock garden plants. I have a bank I got tired of weed whacking so I planted a number of aggressive spreaders on it to fight it out. It gives a varied appearance and interest at different times. I used-
    *Symphytum grandiflorum, groundcover comfrey, tubular pink to blue to white flowers in spring, very tough even for dry shade, sun, spreads fast, WILL overcome all weeds, impossible to remove.
    *Geranium macrorrhizum, very tough, dry shade, sun, pink flowers in spring
    *Hypericum calycinum, yellow flowers, spreads, tough, sun-shade

Some other possibilities are heather or oregano. I also have thymes on a dry slope but some get woody after a few years. Oreganos come up from the roots, die down in fall leaving brown stuff to remove, but at least don't get woody and require pruning. I've seen slopes with an assortment of heathers, they take poor dry soil and spread out into mats. Different ones bloom at different times. I haven't noticed any drawbacks on mine or pruning requirements. I think some people mow them after bloom.

I like to kill weeds over winter with black plastic or newspaper, then the ground is all bare and ready to plant in spring.

Sponsored