Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English Ivy - too $$

Posted by Toronto_Gardner (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 9:33

i want to plant a large area with english/boston or thorndale ivy (i really can't tell the difference).

any ideas on how to do this without breaking the bank? can you start this from seed??

btw, got some cheap ones at the fall sales but still need tones more).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English Ivy - too $$

Thorndale is just a very cold hardy cultivar of English ivy, Hedera helix. Boston ivy is a different plant altogether, Parthenocissus tricuspidata, a deciduous vine not ideally suited as a groundcover.

Since English ivy is typically sold in its juvenile form and doesn't flower or fruit until its adult, arboreal stage, propagation is primarily accomplished by cuttings or divisions. If you can afford to be a little patient, it generally spreads quite rapidly - in fact, it is considered highly invasive in some parts of the US and for sure in B.C. Cuttings are very easy to root, but I'd wait until spring. Same with division - you want the plants to become established before you mess with them much.

o

thanks gardengal.

re boston ivy - oops, i meant baltic ivy...fingers too quick.

o

If you want ivy, I've got tons I'm pulling up in my yard. I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

o

Yep, ask around- if someone has any, they will probably share.

o

Hankela,

where are you? in Ontario?
also, is it easy to move english ivy around? and replant?

o

Toronto Gardner,

Sorry. I didn't notice that you were in Canada. I'm in US, don't think I can ship plant material across the border without a cites. But to answer your question: the darn stuff grows practically anywhere. Its easy to replant. I bet you could sprinkle cuttings on the ground, cover with a little soil and water. It is extremely invasive!

o

If you want to propagate English ivy (Hedera helix) quickly and cheaply, take some small cuttings, remove lower leaves and place in a small vase of water. Before you know it you will find they have grown roots and can be planted out.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

hankela, have you still got any of that ivy around that you could ship me? I'm looking for some to grow on my chain link fence for more privacy. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here