Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kermit9

Bermuda grass invasion

Kermit9
18 years ago

I have a small patch of Bermuda grass established on my big lawn. The rest of the lawn is comprised primarily of weeds and fescue (I guess). I like the appearance of the Bermuda grass and would like to disperse it further on my existing lawn. But on the Internet I read horror stories of how blue grass tends to kill adjacent plants and is almost impossible to remove once it is established. It is said that the blue grass could evern damage an asphalt road adjacent to the lawn. I have bradford pear, elm and small spruce trees on my lawn, as well as small deciduous bushes (no flowers). Can I safely disperse Bermuda grass seed on my existing lawn without damaging other plants? I live in northern Alabama.

Comments (5)

• britania
    18 years ago

"But on the Internet I read horror stories of how blue grass tends to kill adjacent plants and is almost impossible to remove once it is established".

"Can I safely disperse Bermuda grass seed on my existing lawn without damaging other plants? I live in northern Alabama".

My dear fellow gardener, after reading all the horror stories on the web and stating the above yourself, why on earth would you want to give yourself the additional headache? I have just come in from weeding BERMUDA GRASS out of many of my flower beds. IT IS VERY INVASIVE - but then again, you've already been warned.

• Kermit9
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My Dear Britania:

Good point. Sorry about your flowers. But I only have approx. 100sf of bermuda grass established on a 2-acre lawn, where there are no flowers. And I consider this 100sf to be the most attrative part of my lawn.

I guess my question is 'will the grass harm the plants listed above?'

• dulcie2003
    18 years ago

Believe the horror stories, it is common where I live and it is extremely invasive. I spray my lawn with Turflon Ester every month just to keep it knocked back from the seeds that blow into my yard and sprout from my neighbors bermuda. The roots will eventually go down several feet and if one teensy bit is left alive it'll come back. The runners will travel long distances underground and sprout up whereever you don't want it, it develops thatch and will just keep overgrowing on top of itself. If you want bermuda grass, use one of the hybrid types that are good looking and easy to control. I think you'll live to regret it if you choose to keep it. Good luck.

• Kermit9
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My! my! Bermuda grass doesn't seem to have many friends around here. Ok then. I'm convinced. Bermuda grass is out for me. I'm now considering going with Rebel III. I used Rebel II years ago in MD with some success until we had a dry spell and it died. Evidently it wasn't as drought resistant as it said on the package. The funny thing is that the other grass and weeds seemed to thrive in the heat and dryness. I'm hoping Rebel3 will be more heat and drought resistant here in AL. And I know it is friendlier to adjacent plants than Bermuda grass.

Thanks all!

• dulcie2003
    18 years ago

Sorry to be so negative about bermuda grass kermit. I work at a golf course/country club and you'd be suprised at how beautiful some of the bermuda hybrids are. These are what the club uses at the entrance to the clubhouse and it's a beautiful heat tolerant lawn that isn't aggressive like common bermuda. Good luck with your lawn!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County