Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red carpet sedum problem

Posted by sunshine_1621 Upstate NY (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 12:43

Hello - I bought 4 red carpet sedums at the market a few months ago and planted them in my raised bed. The soil is on the sandier side. I have some landscaping fabric down to prevent weeds and some mulch over the top. It appears my sedum is not really spreading and it is looking a little leggy with no real healthy looking growth except in the center of the plant. Is the landscaping fabric preventing roots to grow down? How often should I water? I water once or twice a week and have heard that these plants are pretty drought tolerant. Any advice?
thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red carpet sedum problem

Are they planted on top of the landscape fabric?

o

yes, they are... should've realized this might be the problem. I guess I just figured that they would penetrate still because it is fairly thin fabric and the weeds still get through sometimes!

o

The Sedum would probably be OK instead of great, but overall, you're setting up a really frustrating situation down the road.

Cardboard under mulch is a much more reasonable solution. It decomposes, roots do not get tangled up in it, and can be replaced as necessary. Everything said about the benefits of landscape fabric is a lie, when one considers a spot 2+ years after laying it down, in a permanent planting.

As organic matter such as leaves and mulch decompose on top of landscape fabric, and grit accumulates when the wind blows, seeds are given a place to germinate, just as if the weed fabric wasn't there at all. Trying to remove weeds after that is difficult because the roots do become tangled in the fabric, as well as roots from desirable plants tangling in it from underneath. Sedum is a xeric plant, but still can't perform at anywhere near its' potential on landscape fabric. Most plants would need a hole through the landscape fabric to get many more roots more deeply into the soil. The hole also gives weed seeds/roots an opportunity to go through. Since it is unable to contact the ground directly, the mulch layer on top of landscape fabric will decompose much more slowly, nullifying/slowing much of its' benefit to plants in that spot.

Both adding plants and pulling weeds can cause the landscape fabric to come to the top, so it usually looks strange, with black wrinkles in a flower bed.

o

First thing, get rid of the landscape fabric. As said above, it doesn't work for very long. Your Sedums and all other plants you have will appreciate it. Invest your money in a good mulch and ground covers to take over when the mulch decays.
Sedums can grow where other plants won't so that's where I plant them to avoid weeding them. Grass is one of the worst weeds for Sedums here, so I don't plant Sedums where grass will grow. Problem solved.
Here's some Sedums growing on a stump in my rural, informal garden.
Mike
Sambucus canadensis and Sedum photo 014-2.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here