Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valtorrez

Ajuga or weeds

valtorrez
14 years ago

The home I purchased last 10-08 had a carpet of ajuga around several hydrangas. It was so pretty. However, the ajuga has slowly came back. Mixed into the burgundy ajuga in green leegy specimens that I don't know if they are how ajuga starts off then turns burgandy or if it is weeds. I tried pulling one time and the peice I pulled looked like a plant root at the end- so i don't know if this is how they start (green leefy) or if this is a weed. It is now September. Shouldn't all my ajuga be formed? I thought ajuga was evasive- this is not forming a ground cover fast enough for me.

Comments (3)

• topie
    14 years ago

I have the feeling that you may have a kind of ajuga called Ajuga "Burgundy Glow". This leaves on this ajuga usually will look more green and pinkish-white in the summer, but as the weather cools down in autumn, the leaves will become more burgundy-colored like the leaves you remember from last year.

Another possibility is that the green leggy specimens you found may be new ajuga plants that have "reverted". Ajuga "Burgundy Glow" is a cultivar, and was bred to be that burgundy color. But it doesnÂt always come true from seed. This means that if the Burgundy Glow makes seeds, and the seeds fall on the ground and grow into new ajuga plants, they might "revert" and not look like the orginal burgundy-colored ajuga plant that you liked. The new plants that grow by themselves may be green or even bronze-colored.

Some people deal with this problem by removing any green-colored ajugas that may appear in their Burgundy Glow ajuga patch. I've heard of people even removing the ajuga flowers once the flowers have faded, in order to keep the Burgundy Glow from making new seeds that could grow into green ajugas instead of burgundy ones.

About the growth rate: Ajuga "Burgundy Glow" is good for covering small areas, but is not great for covering large areas, because it grows more slowly than other kinds of ajugas. Some ajugas that are more invasive and will cover large areas faster include the plain Ajuga reptans (which has green leaves), and Ajuga "Bronze Beauty".

P.S. Ajugas also spread by underground roots known as runners, so the piece with the plant root at the end that you pulled up may be one of these underground runner roots. New ajuga plant shoots eventually will form from these runner roots.

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for explaining this. I was getting very upset. I'm pretty sure it was an ajuga I pulled that one time and not a weed. It't just that i don't like the green leaves. It takes them a long time to convert and go flat like the burgandy ajuga. I know it must be converting because one day I will be disappointed because I see the area with green leaves 2 weeks later I will see some new burgandy ajugas. Maybe I should purchase the Bronze Beauty. Does those start off with green leaves? Will it become so evasive it would choke my hydranga which the current ajuga is surrounding? I might just start pulling the green leaves after all. If I do this will it take a long time to fill that area? I have a lot of green ajuga.

• topie
    14 years ago

I would wait to pull out any green leaves until the weather cools down a little later this autumn. Some of those green-leaved ajugas may convert to the burgundy color as the weather gets cooler.

The Ajuga Bronze Beauty has leaves that are pretty much green...sort of a shiny green-ish brown, and it has blue flowers. Bronze Beauty is definitely more invasive than the Burgundy Glow, but it probably won't choke out your hydrangea, since shrubs like hydrangea are pretty tough and have deeper roots than ajuga.

The only thing that may be a problem is that the Bronze Beauty and other more invasive ajugas can spread into your lawn, and I've heard they are very hard to get rid of once they get loose in a lawn area. Bronze Beauty may also crowd out your Burgundy Glow somewhat.

Also, with an aggressive ajuga like the Bronze Beauty, it would be hard in the future to plant any other types of perennial plants in the same area, since it may choke them out too.

An alternative option you may want to try is filling in any bare areas in your Burgundy Glow patch with one of the burgundy-leaved Heucheras/Coral Bells. Heuchera doesn't spread at all like a ground cover, but they come in some really great burgundy colors nowadays, and the leaves will stay burgundy and not turn green.

You could try one of these varieties of Heuchera:
    "Amethyst Mist"
    "Plum Pudding"
    "Palace Purple"
    "Sparkling Burgundy"
    "Plum Royale"
    "Midnight Rose"
    "Berry Smoothie"
    "Smoky Rose"
    "Mahogany"

These all have burgundy, pinkish, purple, or red-colored leaves. You could even combine a few varieties in the same area. I've planted Heuchera a lot this year in our shady spots and have had good luck with it so far.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures